Partially funded by the Government of Canada’s Opportunities Fund for People with Disabilities, the Cultivating Abilities program provides group training activities and on-the job work experience in food and agriculture for people with diverse abilities (disabilities).
The program is open to those who want to find and keep work and who:
- are over the age of 15;
- self-identify as having a disability;
- are out of school;
- are legally able to work in Canada;
- find it hard to find work or keep work;
- are not receiving Employment Insurance benefits.
Participants receive training in:
- essential employment skills including interpersonal communication, conflict resolution and team building;
- FoodSafe Level One;
- SuperHost/Serving it Right;
- First Aid and WHMIS;
- basic food preparation and safe food handling skills; and
- agriculture basics.
Programs run for 16 weeks and participants are paid $13.85/hour while training and during their 10-week work placement.
Our current session runs until September 27th, 2019. To apply for the next intake, please complete this formCultivating Abilities – Participant Application Form Sept 2019:
For information about the upcoming intake, please contact Skills@nanaimofoodshare.ca.