Partially funded by the Government of Canada’s Opportunities Fund for People with Disabilities, the Cultivating Abilities program provides group training activities and on-the job work experience in food and agriculture for people with disabilities.
The program is open to those who want to find and keep work and who:
- are over the age of 15;
- self-identify as having a disability;
- are out of school;
- are legally able to work in Canada;
- find it hard to find work or keep work;
- are not receiving Employment Insurance benefits;
- want to find and keep work.
Participants receive training in:
- essential employment skills including interpersonal communication, conflict resolution and team building;
- FoodSafe Level One;
- Serving it Right;
- First Aid and WHMIS;
- basic food preparation and safe food handling skills; and
- agriculture basics.
Programs run for 16 weeks and participants are paid $14.60/hour while training and during their 10-week work placement.
The next intake runs from June 1, 2020 to September 18, 2020. Apply today! Applications must be submitted by May 15, 2020. Interviews start on May 19.
For information about the upcoming intake, please contact Skills@nanaimofoodshare.ca.