Applications now being accepted!
Homegrown Youth Employability
This program opens doors for youth by teaching the basics of small-scale agriculture, horticulture, and food preparation.
- Food Safe Level 1, Superhost, WHMIS.
- Goal Setting, Communication, Conflict Resolution and other critical employability skills
- Time & Finance Management
- Resumes, Job Search and Interview Skills
- Food Security 101
- Basic Food Prep Skills & Safe Food Handling
- Agriculture & Horticulture Basics
- Hands-on work experience with an employer in the community.
Wages and Work-op:
- Participants will receive a training allowance for 6 weeks of the project based on 30 hours a week @ minimum wage.
- For the remaining 16 weeks of the program, participants will receive minimum wage for 35 hours a week. This 16 week period is on-site work experience with employers in agriculture, horticulture and small-scale food production.
- Between the ages of 15 and 30 years of age
- Out of school and facing barriers to employment
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Not in receipt of Employment Insurance benefits
- Have a Return to Work Action plan with an Employment Assistance Services counsellor
- Successfully complete the application and interview process
Find out more:
Visit Nanaimo Youth Services
READ WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY ABOUT HOMEGROWN:
“This program contributes to the wellbeing of our community and our country by helping the youth with employment barriers, learn new transferable skills.” (Gail Pasaluko, City of Nanaimo, Horticulture Supervisor – Work Host)
“We were fortunate to encounter the Homegrown Program. It was the beginning of an amazing journey for my son. For the first time, he was accepted for who he was, was encouraged to try new things and mentored to build his confidence and skill sets.” (Parent of Homegrown Participant)
“I started making friends with people in the group and becoming really interested in gardening. I was excited to learn and hopeful to find work. I am ecstatic to report that I have now completed the Organic Masters Gardeners Course. THANK YOU HOMEGROWN for helping me find peace in my life.” (Chantel Poulin, Homegrown Participant)
Just finished a great team building day at Tree Go.
The Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy
has contributed funding to this initiative