SCHOOL'S ALMOST OUT, BUT THERE'S NO BREAK FROM SUMMER HUNGER
According to the most recent BC Child Poverty Report Card, more than 5,000 children in the Nanaimo Regional District live in poverty — that's more than 1 in 5.
And with poverty comes lack of food security, with parents often being unable to afford the healthy food kids need to learn, grow and thrive. During the school year, school meal programs help fill the gap, but those cease during summer holidays. Our Summer Lunch Munch program steps in to provide more than 5,000 nutritious lunches to children in our community. Our goal for 2019 is to raise $7,500 to cover the expense of purchasing and preparing daily, nutritious meals for children in Nanaimo.
Here are some ways you can:
- Donate online, by cheque or in person at our office. Individuals, families, groups and business that give an eligible gift of $15 or more will automatically receive a tax receipt.
- During the month of June, bring your bottles and cans to Regional Recycling and ask for them to be allocated to Nanaimo Foodshare's Summer Lunch Munch program.
- Donate to the Summer Lunch Munch program on behalf of someone you know — it's a great end-of-school gift for your favourite teacher — and download this certificate of appreciation to let them know about it!
- Create a fundraiser of your own in support of this valuable program.
- Share the social media links to our campaign with friends and family and encourage them to help out in any way they can.