Nanaimo Foodshare offers a variety of programs that educate the community on local food systems and how to grow food in any space!
Any questions regarding classes or booking, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our current programs are:
- Five Acres Farm Tours
- Experience growing food on an urban farm! Get hands-on practice with food growing skills and fun ecological activities. Weekly, monthly, seasonal and individual visits highlight the various cycles of growing.
- Group size: 5-25 Ages: All!
- Where: Fives Acres Farm (945 Park Ave.)
- Time: 30-90 minutes
- Includes: Guided tour and food growing activities.
- #GrowNanaimo Virtual Classes
- These virtual classes include hands-on activities, inspiring lessons, and curricular connections to growing local food! Review videos, discuss ideas and questions with a passionate facilitator. Available in 4 or 8 class packages. Invite us into your learning space for an engaging virtual presentation.
- Group size: up to 25 Ages: 7-14
- Where: Anywhere with internet!
- Time: 30-90 minutes
- Includes: Foodshare videos, lesson resources, and a passionate virtual facilitator.
- Garden-in-a-Box (3 month program)
- Explore how to plant vegetables, observe factors that affect plant growth and analyze growth without the need of an outdoor growing space. Seasonal themes and activities are available for grades 3-5 (science curriculum). Supplies and class content are provided.
- Group size: 4-30 Ages: 7-14
- Where: Your learning space
- Includes: Up to three Garden-in-a-Box kits, science-based curricular activities and videos, passionate “Youth Grow Food” mentor for in-person and/or virtual support.
- Train-the-Trainer (on your growing site)
- Learn to maintain your garden as a group with curricular support. Passionate facilitators lead outdoor ecology and food growing basics weekly. Facilitators provide 1-3 tasks for you to complete with your group each week.
- Group size: 10 – 30 Ages: 5 and up (with adult supervision)
- Where: Your school garden or existing gardening space
- Time: 6 consecutive (minimum) 30 minute classes
- Includes: Facilitated activities and weekly tasks