Dear friends of Foodshare,
It has been another busy year, with new challenges brought about from the pandemic. Once again, our staff and volunteers have risen to the challenge of continuing to grow our programs and help further food security in Nanaimo. As always, Nanaimo Foodshare is very grateful to our community who have generously supported us in so many ways this past year. Thank you, you are appreciated!!
As we head into the holiday season, we wanted to send a quick update on our activities:
To provide our hardworking staff with a much-deserved rest, Nanaimo Foodshare will be closed from December 24 through January 1, reopening on Tuesday January 4, 2022. Please note:
- There will be NO Good Food Boxes boxes available on December 30. The first Good Food Box of 2022 will be available January 6th.
- There will be no Monday Lunch Together on December 27, or January 4. The first lunch for 2022 will be offered on Monday, January 10.
This was our 21st year of operation and it was a very busy and interesting one indeed. Here are a few highlights.
- We packed over 500,000 pounds of produce into over 27,000 Good Food Boxes which are available to people in the community on a pay-what-you-can model.
- We supported over 50 participants in the Everyone At The Table (E.A.T) inclusive food processing program which supports people who identify as having a disability. We are excited that Superette Foods is now carrying our soups, made by EAT participants.
- We supported 21 participants in our Cultivating Abilities program, a 16-week work placement program for people who identify as having a disability.
- We provided over 2,100 portions of healthy meals to seniors in the community through a partnership with Nanaimo Family Life Association.
- The Gleaning program picked over 2,840 pounds of produce, reducing food waste in the community.
- We marked our third season growing at the Cline Agri-Health Centre on 2090 Skaha Drive (we have three acres under production) and our fifth season at the Five Acre farm. These important agricultural partnerships allow us to grow more of our own locally grown produce for the Good Food Box program — approximately 12,000 pounds of food over the last year.
Give the Gift of Food and Nutrition Security
Like what we’re doing in the community? We’re always happy to receive one-time or monthly donations that support our various projects.
Have a safe and healthy holiday!
All of the staff and Board at Nanaimo Foodshare Society