Learn more about Locally Grown
What is Food Security?
Having food security means that:
- Everyone in the community can afford to buy healthy food they enjoy eating.
- Most of our food is grown locally.
- Food is produced and processed sustainably, in ways that won't harm people, animals, or the environment.
What about the Seed?
Seed is at the heart of local food security. We must conserve the biodiversity and traditional knowledge of food crops. Through the development of community seed banks, seed saving workshops, Seedy Sunday events we can ensure that a safe diverse seed supply will remain for future generations.
(Read more...) and (more....)and (even some more)
VI Good Food Initiative
Everyone is talking about local food nowadays.
The benefits of local food are clear:
- Better nutrition, better taste, better-looking, fresher food
- Better for the environment (lower carbon 'emissions')
- Better for the local economy
- Supports food 'sovereignty'
All this talk leads to a huge demand for local food and food products.
The VI Good Food Initiative is a partnership strategy aimed at building a sustainable Vancouver Island and Coastal Region high value food system. (Read more…)